When You Arrive in Ontario

Given the nature of the requirements (e.g., assessment or two-year program), you will probably have already arrived in Ontario or another province of Canada. To begin your application to the College, follow these
five steps. 

Step 1 — Pass NDEB Examinations

As mentioned above, you must complete the National Dental Examining Board examinations before you apply to the College. To qualify for this examination you must have successfully completed an approved two-year advanced standing program or the NDEB Equivalency Process. The NDEB lists on its website recommended readings (see References) plus over 3,000 questions from their test bank.

Step 2 – Complete the application form

You must submit a completed, signed and notarized College Application Form which will then be valid for three months. If you have not completed the registration process within that time, then you will be required to complete a new application form. The form is available on the College website.

Step 3 – Provide certified documents

The College requires a combination of original and certified documentation depending on the nature of the document. By legal definition, a certified copy is a copy of a document issued by a court, a government or a lawyer or notary public.

These are the steps to obtaining a certified document:

 i) You take the original document to the legal authority.

ii) The legal authority will

  • take a photocopy.
  • either provide a covering affidavit or write on the document directly.
  • that the copy is a true, exact and unaltered copy of the original document.
  • sign, stamp and date the photocopy.

The College will not accept photocopies that are not certified. The College will not accept copies sworn by you, the applicant, to be true copies. It is the responsibility of the legal authority to perform the verification.

This chart describes all the documents you need to submit to the College.

A certified copy of your original dental degree

An original letter from the graduating university confirming your graduation and date

A certified copy of your final transcripts that includes confirmation of the dental degree being issued

This can be submitted instead of a letter from the university (see above).

A written confirmation from a Canadian or American university that you have successfully completed the two-year, qualifying or international dentist program

Required if you attended a two-year qualifying program. Not required if you completed the NDEB Equivalency Process

A certified copy of the certificate issued by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada

A certified copy of the appropriate authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada permitting you to practise dentistry in Ontario

This could be a Canadian citizenship card, permanent resident card, or Ontario work permit.

A completed Certificate of Standing form

You can find this form on the College website. It should be completed by the licensing or regulatory body in the jurisdiction in which you have practised as a dentist. In some countries, this is not a separate organization but a government body such as a Ministry of Health.

This form will provide evidence that you have not been found guilty in relation to a criminal offence, that you were not the subject of an investigation or proceeding for professional misconduct, incompetence, incapacity or a similar investigation or proceeding, and that you were not the subject of a finding of professional misconduct, incompetence, incapacity or a similar finding.

Note: this is a major requirement that must be addressed in all cases.
Please contact the Registration staff at the College if you have any questions.

This documentation is valid for three months from the date it is issued if you continued to practise in that jurisdiction afterwards. Alternatively, it must have been current and up to date when you left the jurisdiction in question.

A certified copy of a legal name change certificate, marriage certificate, or divorce certificate

This is required only if you are applying for a licence under a name that is different from the one recorded on your dental degree.

A written summary of what you have done during any gaps in time between when you obtained your dental degree and when you applied to the College

Some of this information is best obtained while you are still in your country of origin. If you now reside in Canada, obtaining documentation may be a greater challenge. However, the vast majority of applicants are able to obtain the requested documentation. If for any reason you believe that the documentation is unobtainable, contact the Registration department. They may be able to assist with contact information in your country of origin or provide guidance on alternative solutions.

Where indicated, you must submit certified copies of the original documents plus certified translations of those documents if they are not in English or French. It is your responsibility to arrange for the official translation. You cannot translate your own documents. Original translations must verify that the translation is accurate and authentic and will be accepted only from the following:

  • the consulate, high commission or embassy to Canada of the country that issued the documents;

  • a Canadian embassy, consulate, or high commission in the country from which you emigrated;

  • a translator accredited by a professional association of translators in Canada. To obtain the name of an accredited translator, contact the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) at 1-800-234-5030 or 613-241-2846, or

  • a translator who has received accreditation through a federal, provincial or municipal government in Canada.

All acceptable translations must be accompanied by an original statement indicating the translator’s number and/or seal, name, address and telephone number and that the translator belongs to one of the categories listed above.

Applicants are also welcome to bring original documentation to the College and we will photocopy it here and hand it directly back to you. Please call ahead and let us know if you are coming in order to ensure that a staff person is available.

By law, all documentation that the College receives becomes the property of the College and will not be returned. Letters/certificates of standing are often “original” because the College prefers to receive them directly from the governing authority (though you might have obtained it before leaving your country). If for any reason you would like a copy of this document or any other in your file, then let us know. We’re happy to provide that to you at no charge.

Step 4 — Complete Required College Courses

You must also successfully complete the College’s web-based course in Jurisprudence and Ethics. This course is available on the College website. You must submit an application form to the College to be able to access the course. This form is also available on our website.

Step 5 — Demonstrate Language Proficiency

You should be reasonably fluent in either English or French. Many dental programs throughout the world are taught in English so you may or may not be required to submit evidence of fluency.

When it is necessary, the College currently accepts TOEFL – minimum scores of 600 PBT, 250 CBT or 100 ITB. For IELTS – a minimum band of 6.5 for the General test.

Completion of the IELTS – “Academic” version will not be accepted.