Funding for Therapy and Counselling for Sexual Abuse Victims

Funding is provided for therapy and counselling that occurred after the alleged sexual abuse took place. The funding is paid directly to the therapist by the College. Patients are eligible if:

  • they have filed a complaint alleging sexual abuse
  • they are part of a Registrar’s investigation into allegations of sexual abuse
  • there has been a finding of sexual abuse by a Discipline Committee panel.

If there is an appeal of a panel’s findings, the therapy funding is not affected. A patient’s eligibility does not constitute a finding against the dentist and shall not be considered by any other committee.

The funding is paid directly to the therapist. It is meant for therapy required as a result of the sexual abuse.

How long does a patient have to apply for funding?

According to the law, the funding is available for a five-year period that starts on the earlier of the following dates:

  • the date that the person first received therapy related to the sexual abuse (the therapy can take place at any time after the abuse occurred) for which the person is requesting funding, or
  • the date that the Discipline Committee found that the dentist committed sexual abuse.

To receive the full benefit of the funding, applicants should submit their applications as early as possible.

Who can be the therapist?

There are only two restrictions about who can be a patient’s therapist:

  • they must not be a member of the patient’s family
  • they must not have been found to have committed professional misconduct of a sexual nature or be found to be civilly or criminally liable for a similar act.

How much funding can an abuse victim receive from the College?

The government has set out a formula for calculating the amount of funding that a sexual abuse victim is eligible to receive for therapy. While the maximum amount will vary depending on specific circumstances, it is approximately $10,000.

Once a patient’s eligibility is determined and the application is processed, the College will notify the applicant of the amount of funding they will receive.

How can someone apply for funding?

If the College’s Discipline Committee has found that the dentist committed sexual abuse, you will be notified by the College. You can then complete and send in the appropriate forms found on our website, or contact the College’s Sexual Abuse Protocol Officer to have the forms sent to you.