The Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, mandates the College to have a patient relations program. The Patient Relations Committee is responsible for advising Council about the program, which includes the following measures to help prevent and deal with sexual abuse of patients.
- Education for dentists regarding sexual abuse and boundary issues.
- Guidelines for the conduct of dentists with their patients.
- Training for College staff.
- Education and information for the public.
- Funding for therapy and counselling for patients who have been sexually abused by their dentist.
Through its various initiatives, the committee promotes and enhances the relationship between the College and Ontario dentists, other health profession colleges, key stakeholders and the public.
On May 30, 2017, the Protecting Patients Act strengthened the sexual abuse and transparency provisions in the Regulated Health Professions Act. As a result, the Patient Relations Committee further enhanced its communications, activities and programs.