To apply for a post-specialty training certificate of registration (licence) you must submit a completed and notarized application form. Apply online here.
Your application form is only valid for three months once it is signed and notarized.
Complete instructions, including lists of required supporting documentation, can be found at the end of the online application form.
Applicant fees include a non-refundable application fee, a registration fee and the current annual licence fee. Payment must be received before the College can issue your licence.
Annual Licence Fee
*All fees must be made in Canadian dollars.
You can make your payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Amex) or certified cheque made payable to The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario. All certified cheques must be issued by a Canadian bank or be a Canadian Money Order.
- You have a university degree in dentistry that proves the successful completion of an education in dental studies of at least four years.
- You demonstrate the ability to speak and write English or French with reasonable fluency.
- You have successfully completed a speciality program in one of the following:
- Dental anesthesia
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Oral medicine
- Oral pathology
- Oral and maxillofacial radiology
- Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics
- Pediatric dentistry
- Public health dentistry
- You have a written offer of acceptance to a post-speciality dental education program from faculty/school of dentistry at an Ontario university. This program has an emphasis on additional clinical training and/or research to gain further education to your relevant speciality.
- If you are or were licensed as a dentist and practised dentistry in another jurisdiction in Canada or in another country, you:
- are not being or have not been disciplined
- have not be suspended
- have not had your licence revoked
- are not or have not been the subject of a finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity.
- You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to work in a health profession in Canada.
- Your full name on your application must match the name on your dental program degree. If not, provide certified copy of name change with application.
- You have not been charged and/or convicted of a criminal offense in any Canadian or international jurisdiction.
Limitations of Post-Speciality Training Licence
- You may practice dentistry only as required for the program of studies you are enrolled in and only under the supervision of another RCDSO registered dentist who is either:
- A member of the dental staff of the faculty/school of dentistry.
- A member of the dental staff of a facility formally associated with the faculty/school of dentistry.
- You cannot supervise or direct any person regarding performing any act or acts that are authorized to RCDSO registered dentists.
- The licence is issued for a specified duration that equals the expected length of the program but does not exceed 12 months. The licence automatically expires after this duration, unless extended by the College’s Registration Committee.
- The licence is automatically revoked if your appointment in the post-speciality dental education program ceases.
- You cannot charge a fee for any performed act within the scope of practice of dentistry.
All information is subject to change. Applications will be governed by the regulations, and College by-laws and policies in place at the time of submission. If there is any discrepancy information, the requirements stated in regulations shall prevail.