A health profession corporation (HPC) means a corporation incorporated under the Business Corporations Act that holds a valid certificate of authorization issued under the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) or the Health Professions Procedural Code, Schedule 2.
Before you can apply for an HPC certificate of authorization, you need to have a registered corporation under the Ontario Business Corporations Act and issued a corporation number by the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.
An HPC certificate of authorization must be issued by RCDSO and must be renewed annually.
Apply for an HPC Certificate of Authorization
To apply for a health profession corporation (HPC) certificate of authorization, you must:
- Complete and submit the College’s Application for a Certificate of Authorization for a Health Profession Corporation.
- Include a $750 fee payable to the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario with your HPC application form.
- Include all required documentation with your application as per the College’s Instructions and Checklist.
- Ensure that the HPC director and/or officer, and each dentist shareholder is a dentist licensed to practice in Ontario.
All certificates of authorization expire on August 31 of each year regardless of the initial date of issuance and must be renewed annually.
Corporation Regulation Update: Affects HPC Applications and Renewals
Government recently passed regulation amendments that simplify the requirements for applications and annual renewals of HPC certificates of authorization. These changes include:
- A simple declaration signed by a Director (must be a dentist licensed to practise in Ontario) is now accepted. A statutory declaration sworn in the presence of a lawyer, notary public or commissioner of oaths is no longer required.
- Ordinary printed copies of the certificate of corporation or other certificates issued under the Ontario Business Act are now accepted. Certified copies are no longer required.
- Uncertified corporate profile reports are required, instead of a current-dated certificate of status of incorporation.
- The names of non-voting, non-dentist shareholders, e.g. family members who own non-voting shares, are not required.
How do I submit my HPC application?
*Retain your email delivery receipt for your records
Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
6 Crescent Rd
Toronto ON M4W 1T1
*Retain your fax confirmation for your records
HPC Naming Criteria
Click here to learn more about the naming criteria for a health profession corporation.
HPC Optional Naming Pre-approval Form
Revised HPC Certificate of AuthorizationDownload the Application for a Revised HPC Certificate of Authorization.
Notice of Change of Shareholders for HPC
You are required to notify the College when there are changes to your corporation's shareholders. Download the Notice of Change of Shareholders Form and Declaration and send the the completed forms to the College.