All dentists providing minimal sedation must be authorized by the College by April 1, 2020. To apply for authorization, log into the Member Resource Centre and complete the application process. Your successful authorization under the new program will be reflected on the Register as of April 1, 2020.
What will I need before I start my application?
- Access to a desktop or laptop computer with internet connection. Mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) are not recommended. Use of Google Chrome is not recommended
- Your RCDSO Registration Member Number or ID (without "06")
- Your RCDSO Member Resource Centre (MRC) password
- Credit Card Payment information (Visa, Mastercard, American Express)
Step 1: Login to Member Resource Centre
- Click RCDSO Member Login (top right-hand corner) of the homepage or any page on the RCDSO website.
- Enter your RCDSO ID and password and click login. Your ID is your College Registration number (without “06”)
Step 2: Complete the Minimal Sedation Application
- Click “Sedation and Anesthesia Centre” in the left-hand menu
- Once in the SA Centre, select “Minimal Sedation Authorization Application” on the left.
- Complete and submit the application form. Upon successful submission, you will receive an email to your preferred email address on file to advise of the status of your application in 24 to 48 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam/junk folder.
Step 3: Complete Payment
- Once your application is approved, click on “MRC” using the left-hand menu to go to the Member Resource Centre homepage
- Select “Payment Page”
- Select the checkbox next to “A/S Member Authorization Minimal Sedation New”
- Click on “Proceed to Payment” button to be re-directed to the RCDS Payment Page to enter your credit card information
Receipt and Member Authorization Certificate
Your receipt and/or Member Authorization certificate will be available in your Sedation and Anesthesia Centre in 24 to 48 hours after successful completion of payment.
Why and when do I have to apply?
In November 2018, the updated Standard of Practice on Use of Sedation and General Anesthesia in Dental Practice was approved by the College's Council. As per the Standard, all dentists administering minimal sedation must have authorization from the RCDSO to do so. If you intend on administering minimal sedation, you must be authorized on or before April 1, 2020.
How long is my authorization valid?
Your authorization is valid until March 31, 2021. To be maintained, it will have to be renewed annually after then.
What do I do if my application is denied?
If there was an error in your submission, you may resubmit your application by logging in to the Member Resource Centre.Otherwise, you may re-apply for authorization once you meet the requirements.
How much does it cost to apply?
The application fee is $150. Beginning in 2021, you will be required to be renew your authorization annually by March 31.
Why is the payment option not available?
You must submit your application for minimal sedation before the payment option is available.
When will I receive my receipt and certificate?
- Your receipt and certificate will be available for download through the Member Resource Centre 24 to 48 hours after completion of payment.
- Click on Receipts to download a PDF for payment of your Minimal Sedation Member Authorization.
- Click on Member Authorization Certificate to download a PDF of your Minimal Sedation Member Authorization Certificate.
In addition to my authorization to administer minimal sedation, does my office need a permit for minimal sedation?
I’m already authorized to do sedation at another level, do I need to apply for minimal?
No, your current authorization includes the administration of minimal.