The RCDSO’s guidance, COVID-19: Managing infection risks during in-person dental care, assist dentists in preparing their offices to safely provide in-person care. We've also prepared a list of FAQs on COVID-19. The College continues to monitor and update this guidance as necessary, including in response to additional guidance or announcements from the Provincial Government and changing rates of community transmission of COVID-19.
In accordance with our mandate to act in the public’s interest and in hearing the numerous comments made to us by members, in consultation with hospitals and public health and others, we are offering Ontario dentists resources in response to the COVID–19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Public Health Resources
- COVID-19 RCDSO Updates
- COVID-19 Health Care Provider Recruitment
- COVID-19 Updates from the Ministry of Health and Public Health
- COVID-19 Sample Screening
How Do I Find Information About COVID-19 in my Local Practice Area?
Dentists are advised to be aware of the conditions in their area and take action as needed. In particular, dentists are advised to monitor any new recommendations from their local public health unit or changes to the status of their region.
The College is not a source of epidemiologic data. We continue to reach out to and collaborate with our system partners to identify resources and equip dentists to understand their local circumstances.
For more information about interpreting local epidemiology, see Public Health Ontario’s (PHO) Considerations for Community-Based Health Care Workers on Interpreting Local Epidemiology.
In this document, PHO identifies several resources to assist healthcare workers, including:
- Website of your public health unit,
- Public Health Ontario COVID-19 Data Tool, and
- Public Health Ontario Daily and Enhanced Surveillance Reports.
Additionally, dentists may wish to consult the following information from Ministry of Health:
Where can I access information about vaccination for myself and my dental office employees?
The College has also produced information for dentists on supporting COVID-19 vaccination efforts.
The Ministry has provided an updated document on Guidance for Prioritizing Health Care Workers for COVID-19 Vaccination.
This document assigns priority for vaccination of health care workers (HCWs), from highest priority to very high priority, high priority, and moderate priority. Dentistry has been placed in the very high priority level.
Vaccination will be coordinated by local Public Health Units (LPHUs). Click here for information from local public health units on vaccinations for oral health workers.
A list of LPHUs and their contact information is available here (http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/system/services/phu/locations.aspx).
To determine the LPHU region for your dental office, you may refer to this tool (https://www.phdapps.health.gov.on.ca/PHULocator/Default.aspx).
The Ontario Ministry of Health is looking for part-time or retired health care workers to assist with the COVID-19 crisis. In particular, the Ministry is seeking:
- Current and former members of Ontario’s regulated health professions and the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers;
- Physician assistants; and
- Personal support workers.
For more information, click here.
Ontario has also launched a website to act as a central point for businesses and organizations who can supply emergency products and innovative solutions to support the province's response to COVID-19.
Ontario’s Ministry of Health regularly releases new guidance on COVID-19. Access regular Ministry updates by clicking here.
Health care providers facing immediate challenges (less than 10 days of supply) with their personal protective equipment supply levels can email the ministry: EOCLogistics.MOH@ontario.ca.
The Ontario Government has developed an online workplace PPE supplier directory, which can be found here.
The Ministry reports daily to the College on this issue.
- COVID-19 - Directive #2 for Health Care Providers (Regulated Health Professionals) - Revised May 26, 2020
- COVID-19 Quick Reference Public Health Guidance on Testing and Clearance - October 2020
- COVID-19 - Directive #1 for Health Care Providers and Health Care Entities – Revised March 30, 2020
- IPAC Recommendations for Use of PPE for Care of Individuals with Suspect of Confirmed COVID-19
- Public Health Ontario - COVID-19 Public Resources
- Managing Health Worker Illness and Return to Work COVID-19 (MOH)
- Enhanced Public Health Measures for COVID-19 (Ministry of Health)- March 12, 2020
- English Case Definition - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Risk Levels and Precautions for COVID-19
- Risk Levels and Precautions for COVID-19 (French)
- FAQs on 2019 Novel Coronavirus, published February, 12, 2020
- Fact Sheet - How to self-isolate (Public Health Ontario)
- Fact Sheet - Self-isolation: Guide for caregivers, household members and close contacts (Public Health Ontario)
- Guidance: Independent Health Facilities - COVID-19
The Minister of Health released a statement regarding elective surgeries.
The Ministry recommends that you:
- Screen patients over the phone before scheduling appointments
- Post signs in your reception area asking patients with symptoms to identify themselves.
The Ministry of Health has set up a Health Care Provider Hotline at 1-866-212-2272. Contact email@example.com if you have additional questions.